Definition of Physical Education | Body Fitness and health Education
Physical Education is the process by which changes in the individual are bought about through movements experiences. Physical Education aims not only at physical development but is also concerned with education of the whole person through physical activities.
It would not be wrong if we say that Physical education is the play-way method of education.
Various Definitions of Physical Education are –
1. Barrow defined Physical Education as an education of and through human movement where many of educational objectives are achieved by means of big muscle activities involving sports, games, gymnastic, dance and exercise.
2. According to Webster’s Dictionary Physical education is a part of education which gives instructions in the development and care of the body randing from simple callisthenic exercises to a course of study providing training in hygiene, gymnastics and the performance and management of athletics games.
3. Jackson R. Sharman points out that physical education is that part of education which takes place through activities, which involves the motor mechanism of human body which results in an individual’s formulating behaviour patterns.
4. Charles A. Bucher defines physical education, an integral part of total education process, is a field of endeavour which has as its aim the development of physically, mentally, emotionally and socially fit citizens through the medium of physical activities which have been selected with a view to realizing these outcomes.”
5. Central Advisory Board of physical Education and Recreation defines Physical education as an education through physical activities for the development of total personality of the child to its fullness and perfection in body, mind and spirit.
Aim and Objective of Physical Education | Fitness and health Aim of Physical Education – The ultimate goal or direction is referred to as an aim, it point out way. It is final end. Aim is achieved some certain objectives. Aim of physical education, like general education, is to develop human personality in its totality